Lowertown Art Show
An Open Call for Artists
2nd Annual Lowertown Art Show and Celebration
October 25 thru November 18
Show Description: The show provides the opportunity to bring together in one space the artists of the historic Lowertown neighborhood, as well as the artists that participate in the St Paul Art Crawl. It is a celebration of the abundance and diversity that the St. Paul art scene has to offer. Last year’s inaugural show attracted over 50 local artists and we hope even more will participate this year. Each artist is eligible to submit one piece of art in their given medium.
New this year, the Lowertown show will begin the tradition of each year featuring the work of three artists during the show who are especially important to the arts community in St Paul. The honorees for 2012 are:
- Kirk Lyttle, long time illustrator for the Pioneer Press,
- Ta-coumba Tyrone Aiken, much recognized and heralded founding member of the Lowertown Art community,
- Catherine Johnson, nationally recognized painter and one of the pioneers of the Lowertown community.
Location – AZ Gallery: Established in 1997, the AZ Gallery is a cooperative of local artists. AZ has been dedicated to presenting monthly shows that foster a greater appreciation of contemporary arts and community interaction. In recent years, AZ Gallery has been home to the St Paul Winter Carnival Children’s Art Exhibit, the Les Farrington Top 100 High School Artists, theCollege OfVisual Arts Senior show, the St Paul Almanac Book Release Party and the Lowertown Art Show, along with many solo and group exhibitions. Located in the historicNorthernWarehouseBuilding, the AZ Gallery is also at the heart of the St Paul Art Crawl.
Eligibility: Any artist living, working or with studio space in Lowertown St. Paul (Jackson St to the west, West 7th to the North, John St. to the East and the Mississippi River to the south) or any artist listed in the St Paul Art Crawl Fall catalog is eligible to enter.
Submission or Hanging Fee: None! this show is free to any eligible artist
• Any form and style of art is acceptable except performance art.
• Artists may submit 1 piece for consideration.
• 2 dimensional works cannot exceed 4’ wide
• Work hung on the wall cannot exceed 10’ tall. These works should also be supported by conventional means and must be able to be supported by a standard residential wall.
• Gallery staff will be installing all pieces.
• Work hung from ceiling cannot exceed 30 pounds.
• Free standing pieces cannot be attached to the floor. Size of free standing pieces will be at discretion of AZ.
All application materials must be submitted in English. We will provide publicity, electronic versions of exhibition invitations and mailings for artists to distribute, and will hold an opening reception. We do not provide insurance coverage for work exhibited. All work exhibited must be available for sale and there will be a 30% commission from all work sold. Prizes donated by local businesses will be awarded on the night of the opening party.
Email your entry by October 7 to email@example.com or mail to:
308 Prince St, Suite 130
• a copy of one image per artist – photos should be in jpg format as an attachment or on a CD
• Artist name, address, medium, dimensions and price. Please indicate your connection to Lowertown or the St Paul Art Crawl.
• Entries are due by October 7. This is not a postmark date, but a received by date.
• Selected artists will be notified by the end of the day on October 15.
• Drop off dates are Sunday, October 21 from 2 pm-6 pm and Monday, October 22 from 4 pm-7 pm.
• Work MUST be complete and ready for installation at the time of submission and labeled in the upper right back corner for 2D art and on the bottom for 3D art with the artist’s name, title, medium and price.
• A signed AZ artist’s agreement must accompany each submission. A copy of the artist’s agreement can be downloaded here – http://theazgallery.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/AZConsignment_Agreement-Lowertown.pdf
• The show will run from October 25 through November 18 during regular business hours for AZ Gallery: Thur & Fri 5:30-8:30, Sat & Sun 9:00-3:00.
• The artists’ reception for the “2nd Annual Lowertown Art Show and Celebration” will be held on Saturday, November 3 from 6 pm-10 pm.
• Pick up will be Sunday, November 18 from 2 pm-6 pm and Monday, November 19 from 4 pm-7pm.
Any questions can be directed to Todd Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org